I was inspired to do said painting when I came across this awesome photo on an acquaintance’s facebook page, and it really made me want to do a painting. So obviously in the end I did, and this is the most complete version so far.
I’m in two minds about it, I do quite like the sort of pseudo classical look of it, but then there’s something nagging me about it, like the dress is too ‘princessy’ haha I guess in a sense that’s good, it contrasts stylistically with the bright red hair.
But I’m also playing with a more Gothic version, making the blue fabric darker and less saturated. Trying some lace too, which is proving to be an ‘interesting’ exercise to paint. In fact in the end I put the lace idea aside and started fiddling with some different collar ideas. But I’m not happy with any of that yet, so we’ll see.
Anyway, the image is composed of:
- a photo which was rotated to square it up and the background removed.
- New soft textured background painted in;
- Her right arm (at left of frame, obviously) had to be painted in as it had been cropped;
- Ridiculous puff sleeves painted, leaving the singlet top she was wearing in the pic almost entirely unchanged;
- Necklace painted in;
- Her skin and hair are a blend of the original photo + filtered versions (various blur and median effects etc) + layers of ‘art history bush’ and standard paint brush;
- Colours/levels tweaked.
All done in Photoshop CS2
Thanks so much to Katie for letting me use the original photo, which was such a great starting point 😀